WhatsApp Web is a messenger that can be used on desktop PC and tablet. It is a browser-based WhatsApp messenger for your PC. With more than 5 Billion downloads on play store and ____ on the app store, WhatsApp has become a part of most of our lives. If not, you would’ve at least heard of it unless you are living under a rock! WhatsApp Web is a PC version of WhatsApp that allows you to sync your smartphone and use it on PC or tablet.
WhatsApp Web can also be downloaded as an application on your PC or MacBook and it works on both of them. Today, it is also used for official purposes in many companies as it is easier to connect and the information is encrypted. WhatsApp was founded in February 2009 and gained instant popularity through its unique approach towards messaging. WhatsApp Web however was launched in January 2015, this also gained a similar response as it provided a platform to use messenger on PC/tablet. It became an alternative for emails as it made file transfer and professional messaging much easier.
How to use WhatsApp Web?
WhatsApp Web is quite simple and easy to use if you are already using WhatsApp. You can follow the below steps to use WhatsApp Web on your laptop/tablet.
- Ensure that your smartphone is connected to the internet. If not, it will not work.
- On your desktop/tablet, open the browser and go to https://web.whatsapp.com.
- A page will open that requires you to scan the QR code. Now, open WhatsApp messenger on your smartphone. On Android devices, tap on the vertical three dots on the top right corner and tap on WhatsApp Web. On iPhone, open settings and select WhatsApp Web.
- Now you will have an option to scan the QR code, scan it. That’s it! It is that simple. You can now use WhatsApp even on your PC/tablet.
- There is no need of any separate account, your phone will be synced with the WhatsApp Web so you will be able to all the previous chats your desktop as well.
- If you want to be able to use it again without scanning the QR code each time, select the ‘Keep me signed in’ option under the QR code before scanning.
How to logout?
Often we tend to use WhatsApp Web outside our homes or at work and forget to log out. If you haven’t logged out, the other person who uses the desktop after you can see the details as long as your phone is connected to the internet. So how to avoid this problem? It’s simple. Log-out!
- Now, open WhatsApp messenger on your smartphone. On Android devices, tap on the vertical three dots on the top right corner and tap on WhatsApp Web. On iPhone, open settings and select WhatsApp Web.
- Here you will be able to see ‘Logged in devices‘, under this it’ll show the last active status with time and location.
- Below this, you have an option ‘Log out from all devices‘. Select this and you’re logged out from the desktop/PC from all active sessions.
- You can also log out on desktop/tablet by a click on three dots and select the ‘Log out’ option.
This is recommended when you are using this at work or if you are sharing the desktop with others as well. Be sure to log out before you leave the room to protect your personal information.
Features available on WhatsApp Web
WhatsApp Web is very similar to WhatsApp messenger on smartphones. It allows you to edit the profile picture. Click on the profile picture, you will get an option to add or change profile photo. Once you click on it, you will have an option to ‘Take photo’ or ‘Upload photo’. Select as per your choice and your WhatsApp profile photo is updated.
- Below this, there is also the option to edit your profile name which can be done by a click on the pencil mark.
- Likewise, you also have the ‘About‘ option to write about yourself by a click on the pencil mark.
- Sadly there is no option to update status but you see the status of your contacts.
- You also have the option to view profiles, create new groups, read achieved and starred messages, and change settings after a click on three-dots.
- It also allows you to check the profile of your contacts.
1. Can I use it when the phone is off?
No. Your phone needs to have an active internet connection for you to able to use it.
2. Do I have to scan the QR code every time to use WhatsApp Web?
Not necessarily. When you scan the QR code the first time, check on ‘Keep me signed in’ option. This will enable you to log in again without having to scan the QR code.
3. Can you make video calls on WhatsApp Web?
Currently, you cannot make video calls. They are yet to add the feature of voice and video calling.